RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR USE OF RECREATION AND PARK AREAS
THE FOLLOWING RULES AND REGULATIONS HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED FOR THE USE OF RECREATION AND PARK AREAS OF THE BOROUGH OF WAYNESBORO. THESE ARE PUBLIC FACILITIES AND EACH PERSON IS URGED TO COOPERATE IN OBSERVING THESE RULES AND REGULATIONS AND IN HELPING TO KEEP THESE AREAS CLEAN.
The following are designated as park areas in the Borough of Waynesboro:
- Memorial Park
- Northside Park/Pool
- Mt. Airy Avenue Park
- Franklin Street Park
- Rotary Park (*See Below for Additional Rules Pertaining to Rotary Park)
1. Proper care and use of recreation and park equipment and facilities, shelters, buildings, tables, benches, trees, shrubbery, etc. is required. The cost of any property damage shall be charged to the responsible person or persons.
2. No persons shall operate or ride any skateboard, roller skates, roller blades, bicycle, motor bike, motorcycle, snowmobile or similar motor vehicle except in areas where motor vehicles are permitted, such as drives and parking areas.
3. Dangerous practices and endangering the safety of others is prohibited at all times.
4. Users of the recreation and park areas shall respect the rights of others and conduct themselves in a manner acceptable and becoming to others.
5. The use of abusive and/or foul language is prohibited.
6. Littering in recreation and park areas is prohibited. Trash and recyclables shall be placed in the designated containers provided for this purpose.
7. The use and/or possession of alcoholic beverages and illegal substances in recreation and park areas is prohibited. Persons under the influence of, or in possession of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances, will be expelled immediately and subject to criminal prosecution.
8. The little league and major league ballfields at Memorial Park are leased by the Waynesboro Youth League; and those wishing to schedule use of the fields must have approval from the Waynesboro Youth League. They are open to the public, however, when games and practices are not being held. Court and other park areas are open to the general public, except when scheduled by organized leagues or other organizations and approved by the Waynesboro Recreation Board.
9. Park pavilions may be used by all patrons when not in use for official functions or reserved for private use. Rotary Park Pavilion is available for rental.
10. Observe speed limits of 10 miles per hour or slower, depending upon conditions, in recreation and park areas where vehicular traffic is allowed.
11. Directional signs must be followed by vehicular traffic, and parking shall be in authorized parking areas and parking spaces, subject to a speed limit of 10 miles per hour or less.
12. Picking of flowers or cutting or damaging any plant life by an unauthorized person is prohibited.
13. All persons are prohibited from entering the park with any animals, or walking or running dogs or other animals within their control, in any Borough park or recreation area within the Borough of Waynesboro; excepting, however, animals providing specialized assistance to handicapped individuals (e.g. service dogs).
14. Tennis shoes or sneakers or other appropriate footwear must be worn on all court areas.
15. The building of fires in recreation and park areas of the Borough of Waynesboro is strictly prohibited. However, gas grills are permitted provided they are of a normal consumer type.
16. No firearms of any type shall be discharged in any park. Trapping is prohibited in any park.
17. Ball playing of any kind or the throwing of any object at the park located on Franklin Street is prohibited at all times.
18. The hitting of golf balls and the playing of golf in any park is hereby prohibited at all times.
19. All park areas are closed from one-half hour after Sunset as defined by the U.S. Weather Bureau for the Waynesboro area to one-half hour prior to Sunrise as defined by the U.S. Weather Bureau for the Waynesboro area, except for special events and occasions approved by the Borough.
20. Certain park and recreation areas, such as the Rotary Park and Northside Pool, may have additional rules and regulations adopted specifically for that location. Such rules and regulations are posted at those locations.
APPROVED BY BOROUGH COUNCIL ON JULY 19, 1978; MODIFIED – July 15, 1981, October 5, 1988, May 19, 1993, June 3, 1998, April 16, 2008, October 29, 2011 and March 18, 2015.
*ADDITIONAL RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR ROTARY PARK
REGULATIONS FOR BICYCLES, ROLLER SKATES AND ROLLER BLADES:
1. Skateboarding is prohibited in Rotary Park.
2. Bikers, roller skaters and roller bladers must utilize appropriate helmets and protective gear.
3. Stop for pedestrians.
4. Ride/skate/blade to the right of the walkway.
5. Skating, biking or blading is prohibited in the pavilion or in the grass — such activities must stay on the walkway.
REGULATIONS FOR DOGS:
1. All dogs must be on a six-foot (6′) leash.
2. Dog walkers must pick up all solid waste left by their dog(s) in their own containers and properly dispose of the waste outside the park. Do not deposit in the waste containers in the park.
3. Do not leave a dog unattended.
4. Do not permit a dog under your control to approach other dogs or people without invitation or permission.
5. Keep dogs away from exercise areas, play areas, the pavilion, the flagpole, the memorial area, the restrooms or other park buildings/structures.
6. The handler must keep dogs under control and is responsible for the behavior of the dog(s).
APPROVED BY BOROUGH COUNCIL ON APRIL 20, 2011.